Friday, June 4, 2010

The Quiet Room


It's quiet in here isn't it? Anyway, at least it's clean and bright and that bed looks comfortable. I'm fine on this chair and I promise not to come too close and disturb you.


You never used to be like this. You were always talkative, lively and happy; and now look at you. Why now, just because you are in this place, are you so quiet? What have I done to upset you?


Do you remember the last time we were in a room like this together, just the two of us. Everyone went out and left us alone. You did the same to me then, just lay there not saying a word or doing anything. What is it about these places and you? Mind you that was 26 years ago and you had just been born.


Lots of people come and go from here, why can't you? You did before, why not this time? Why do you insist on staying here? You know that I love you don't you? Even when we had cross words I always loved you; I only wanted what was best for you even though you thought that you knew better. Well that may be so but this can't be it can it? Just look around you.


No carpets on the floor, only one little bedside cabinet and no wardrobe. A boring stretched window with a metal frame looking out onto a car park; and those dreary vertical blinds. These cupboards with the glass fronted doors don't exactly do anything to improve the ambiance do they? And that smell, where does it come from? Come on love you're worth more than this. Let me take you out of here, what do you say? All you have to do is wake up and we can go home again.


God it's quiet in here. Like a bloody mor.. No sorry, it's not like that at all. It's... it's great because you're here. It would be if we were in a dungeon somewhere; as long as you are here everything is all right. So you see you can't go because... because I love you. Because you are my morning and my night, because you light up my life, because without you a part of me dies.


The man's coming to switch off the machine now and take that tube out of your mouth. I know you're not afraid of going because you told me so three days ago before they brought you into this room. And I know that we will see each other again one day. You can't just disappear forever, I won't let you.


Good night my darling daughter and God bless, until we meet again

No comments:

Post a Comment